1 Night 2 Days Paragliding in Bir
About Bir Billing Himachal Pradesh
Bir Billing is an adventure destination, located in the west of Joginder Nagar Valley in the state of Himachal Pradesh in northern India. This area is known for a popular site for paraglider pilots, both Indians and visitors from all over the world. Mostly referred as “Paragliding Capital of India”, Bir is also a noted centre for ecotourism, spiritual and meditation. Bir is also home to a Tibetan refugee settlement with several Buddhist monasteries and a large Stupa.
Enjoy the tandem flying into the open sky suspended in the air at height of 800 ft from the ground level and covers a total area distance of around 15 kms. Adventure seekers will love to enjoy this extremely new activity as they can also experience the bird’s eye view of the scenery around. Come along with your dear ones to experience Paragliding in the open air & feel the thrill. Our trained Pilots will be guiding and supervising you throughout this activity. It’s a new rising adventure activity at Bir and world’s Highest Peak Paragliding spot too. Bir Billing has hosted the Paragliding World Cup, the official one. The terrain, heights along with the climate of Bir-Billing are very favorable for any air borne gliding sport.
Paragliding is a delight for every adventure sports enthusiast and Paragliding in Bir Billing is an experience that you'll cherish forever. The Billing hill has canopies all over and is surrounded by Dhauladhar ranges which make the view while flying breath taking to say the least. You will be taken to the jumping spot in the vehicles provided by us (most probably an open jeep) with your pilot and the flying equipment. Upon reaching the point, the pilot will brief you with some to-dos and some not-to-dos during the whole process. When you’re all geared up and ready, the pilot will ask you to run with him towards the edge and jump off the cliff. The idea here is to ‘catch the wind’. Our pilots are experienced professionals who will get you airborne in no time. Scary but totally worth it once you’re up in the air.
Once in the air, you will witness the epicness of the Kangra Valley on a grand scale. The pilot will take you around the Billing hill with some of the most astonishing views you’ll ever see. If you have not experienced paragliding before, this is the moment where you’ll be blown away (both literally and metaphorically). At the height of 8000ft above sea level you can hear only the winds and your pilot who btw will keep checking on you every five minutes. According to how comfortable you are, the pilot might even perform mid-air stunts for you.
We strongly suggest that you rent a Gopro camera to capture your paragliding memories, cell phone cameras do not work well in this case.
After a smooth flight of about 30 minutes or an hour, the pilot will begin the descent and land you safely at Chougan (also called as the landing point in Bir). The landing will be as smooth as taking the first steps into a swimming pool.
What makes Bir- Billing one of the best paragliding sites in the world ?
Best takeoff and landing sites - The smooth winds and the clear, plain landing site help the Para gliders (Pilots) in hassle free take off and landing.
Perfect air currents - Bir Billing is blessed with optimum paragliding conditions. The flyers get an uplift of atleast 5000 metres every single time.
Ideal cloud base - Cloud base is the distance between the ground and the base of the cloud. An average of 6000 metres makes Bir a much loved paragliding location in the world.
How to Reach
Bir is located at in the Tehsil (administrative subdivision) of Baijnath, in the District of Kangra in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
It is situated approximately 50 km (31 mi) southeast of Dharamshala at a distance of two to three hours by road. It is 14 km south of Billing, which lies on the way to the Thamsar Pass leading to Bara Bhangal. Geologically, Bir is situated in the Joginder Nagar Valley, Dhauladhar Range of the foothills of the Indian Himalayas.
The nearest railway station is Ahju, on the narrow-gauge line running between Pathankot and Jogindernagar via Kangra.
Road access to Bir is from the Bir Road turnoff (signposted) on N H20 (now NH 154), approximately midway between Baijnath and Jogindernagar.
Package Details - INR 3499 PP
Day 1:- Welcome to Paragliding capital of India
- Welcome at Asia’s highest Peak Paragliding spot Bir Billing, your 1N2D Paragliding at Bir Billing Package commences when you set foot in Bir and transfer to hotel/Camp for fresh’n up and take some rest.
- After lunch proceed to local sightseeing at bir. You’ll also visit the famed SHERABLING Monastery & historical BAIJNATH temple on the same day (local sightseeing) and begin our return to the Hotel/camp late in the evening.
- The first day will be end with in house group activities, complimentary Bonfire + Music and dinner. Overnight camping under the billion stars.
- Note: - Based on weather conditions & Local Factors, the order in which these two activities are carried out might change.
Day 2:- Paragliding Day and departure
- Wake up early in the morning with the call of hot tea & view of sunrise and go for a short trekking. Your trek will be start from the campsite, our expert helps to guide you in a short trekking between beautiful mountains where you’ll explore nature beauty, Himachali residence & you can capture Himachali culture in your phone/camera.
- After Breakfast check out from the Hotel/camp and head straight for paragliding adventure, enjoy Paragliding Tandem flying from Billing and landing at Chougan. Visit Tibetan monastery, shop at Bir Bazaar and afternoon depart to your onward journey with sweet memories of this weekend trip.
Best to know
- Minimum age to do Paragliding – 6 Years
- Maximum age to do Paragliding – 65 Years
- Minimum weight – 30 KG
- Maximum – 100 KG
- Candidate should not have any Heart problem and any type of physical disability.
Activities Include in the Package
- Local Sightseeing
- Bonfire with Light music
- Short Trekking
- Indoor Games
- Lunch/Dinner on Day 1
- Morning Hot Tea with cookies on Day 2
- Breakfast on Day 2
- Overnight Camping under the stars at Bir/Billing
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in the tent.
- Lunch, Dinner, and Breakfast (Buffet).
- Local transportation on sharing bases.
- Onetime Paragliding (Tandem flying) from Billing. (2400 meters height)
- Any Air/train fare before and after the tour.
- Transportation of any kind other than mentioned above.
- Main meals at the hotel or any other place other than on the trek.
- Insurance of any kind (personal, medical, accidental etc).
- Items of personal nature such as beverages, laundry, phone bill, tips etc.
- Emergency evacuation charges.
- Photography and videography.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusion
- Shiva Temple Baijnath
- Sherabling Monastery
- Barot Valley
- Gunehar Waterfall
- Rajgundha Trek
- Prashar Lake
- Mountain Biking
- Toy Train. (Kangra Valley)
- Dharamshala – World’s Highest Cricket Ground
- McLeodganj (His Holiness The Dalai Lama Town)
A few things to remember while leaving for this trip
- There is no need for proper trekking shoes. But make sure you’re wearing sturdy sport shoes that are comfortable and lightweight.
- Winter wear.
- Your earphones (because music makes everything better)
- A book or two (for light reading in the camp, if you are a reader)
- A camera or a phone with a good camera (You’ll definitely want to capture all those moments)
- A government issued valid identity proof
- And the most important: Your sense of Humor and zeal for adventure.
Things to Carry
- Comfortable clothes & footwear
- Dry-fit clothes for water based activities
- First aid kit (Personal medicine kit)
- Lip Balm