1 Night 2 Days Camping in Bir
About Bir Billing
Bir Billing is an adventure destination, located in the west of Joginder Nagar Valley in the state of Himachal Pradesh in northern India. This area is known for a popular site for paraglider pilots, both Indians and visitors from all over the world. Mostly referred as “Paragliding Capital of India”, Bir is also a noted centre for ecotourism, spiritual and meditation. Bir is also home to a Tibetan refugee settlement with several Buddhist monasteries and a large Stupa.
The village continues to host periodic international competitions and events. Paragliding World Cup 2015 is set to commence from the 21st of October in Bir. The paragliding launch site is in the meadow at Billing (14 km north of Bir), at an elevation of 2400 meters, while the landing site and most tourist accommodations are in the village of Chowgan (also spelled Chaugan), on the southern edge of Bir. While billing is takeoff site for paragliding and Bir for landing. Collectively it is known “Bir Billing”.
Best time to Visit Bir Billing
The flying season for Paragliding is from October to June, with some flying also done in September. Even October - November and March - June are the best time for long flights. Paragliding experience during December, January is different as all the mountains around covered with snow, even Billing experience snowfall during that period.
How to Reach
Bir is located at in the Tehsil (administrative subdivision) of Baijnath, in the District of Kangra in the Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
It is situated approximately 50 km (31 mi) southeast of Dharamshala at a distance of two to three hours by road. It is 14 km south of Billing, which lies on the way to the Thamsar Pass leading to Bara Bhangal. Geologically, Bir is situated in the Joginder Nagar Valley, Dhauladhar Range of the foothills of the Indian Himalayas
The nearest railway station is Ahju, on the narrow-gauge line running between Pathankot and Jogindernagar via Kangra.
Road access to Bir is from the Bir Road turnoff (signposted) on N H20 (now NH 154), approximately midway between Baijnath and Jogindernagar.
Package Details - INR 1999 PP
Day 1:- Welcome to Paragliding capital of India
- Welcome at Asia’s highest Peak Paragliding spot Bir Billing, your 1N2D Camping at Bir Billing Package commences when you set foot in Bir and transfer to hotel/Camp for fresh’n up and take some rest.
- After lunch proceed to local sightseeing at bir. You’ll also visit the famed SHERABLING Monastery & historical BAIJNATH temple on the same day (local sightseeing) and begin our return to the Hotel/camp late in the evening.
- The first day will be end with in house group activities, complimentary Bonfire + Music and dinner. Overnight camping under the billion stars.
- Note: - Based on weather conditions & Local Factors, the order in which these two activities are carried out might change.
Day 2:- Paragliding Day and departure
- Wake up early in the morning with the call of hot tea & view of sunrise and go for a short trekking. Your trek will be start from the campsite, our expert helps to guide you in a short trekking between beautiful mountains where you’ll explore nature beauty, Himachali residence & you can capture Himachali culture in your phone/camera.
- After Breakfast check out from the Hotel/camp and head straight for paragliding adventure, enjoy Paragliding Tandem flying from Billing and landing at Chougan. Visit Tibetan monastery, shop at Bir Bazaar and afternoon depart to your onward journey with sweet memories of this weekend trip.
Activities Include in the Package
- Local Sightseeing
- Bonfire with Light music
- Short Trekking
- Indoor Games
- Welcome Dinner
- Lunch/Dinner on Day 1
- Morning Hot Tea with cookies on Day 2
- Breakfast on Day 2
- Overnight Camping under the stars at Bir.
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in the tent (Swiss Tent).
- Lunch/Dinner, and Breakfast (Buffet) Pure Veg.
- Local transportation on sharing bases.
- Short Trek (A Morning Nature walk)
- Any Air/train fare before and after the tour.
- Transportation of any kind other than mentioned above.
- Main meals at the hotel or any other place other than on the trek.
- Insurance of any kind (personal, medical, accidental etc).
- Items of personal nature such as beverages, laundry, phone bill, tips etc.
- Emergency evacuation charges.
- Photography and Videography.
- Anything not mentioned in the Inclusion
- Shiva Temple Baijnath
- Sherabling Monastery
- Barot Valley
- Gunehar Waterfall
- Rajgundha Trek
- Prashar Lake
- Mountain Biking
- Toy Train. (Kangra Valley)
- Dharamshala – World’s Highest Cricket Ground
- McLeodganj (His Holiness The Dalai Lama Town)
A few things to remember while leaving for this trip
- There is no need for proper trekking shoes. But make sure you’re wearing sturdy sport shoes that are comfortable and lightweight.
- Winter wear.
- Your earphones (because music makes everything better)
- A book or two (for light reading in the camp, if you are a reader)
- A camera or a phone with a good camera (You’ll definitely want to capture all those moments)
- A government issued valid identity proof
- And the most important: Your sense of Humor and zeal for adventure.
Things to Carry
- Comfortable clothes & footwear
- Dry-fit clothes for water based activities
- First aid kit (Personal medicine kit)
- Lip Balm